String breakage

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:24:28 -0600

Hi,
I'd like some feedback on everyone's experience with piano wire life/string
breakage and the need to restring pianos.  I have a University with several
Steinway and a few Baldwin D's and B's and they are breaking strings in the
treble.  I actually occasionally break them myself when tuning and broke one
once when I was string voicing/leveling.  They break at the V-bar. Many of
these pianos are only 7-15 years old.  I used to think it was from worn
hammers hitting the wire too close to the bar, but even after filing, they
are breaking.  Breakage is over more than one wire gauge.  These pianos get
heavy but probably not unusual University use.  Thanks in advance.
Questions:
-Does the wire get weakened at the V-bar over time?
-Is it expedited when the hammers aren't filed regularly?
-How often should a University teaching piano need restringing?
-Should they be always completely restrung or just areas where they are
breaking?  Same pins in a partly restrung area?

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net