S&S upright actions

Fred S. Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:00:02 -0700

    Sounds like the hammer bore distance is too long. I've run into that
on old Steinway uprights someone else rebuilt, at least a couple times.
When the jack is all the way under the butt, there is lost motion. Take
it up and the jack won't get back under when the parts return slowly.
And, yes, extreme dip needed to avoid bobbling. Removing hammers and
re-boring doesn't sound too inviting. I'm afraid I never did come up
with a good solution. Thicker butt felt sounds like the best notion.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico