A challenge for Dallas; AT vs ET

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:53:10 -0600

hello again-

Pardon me for saying so, and I hope those involved have fun in the process, but I
don't care how perfect the comparison- you will never get everyone to agree on what
sort of temperament is most complimentary to the concert piano.  On an individual
basis however, that could be very informative.   Actually - it has been shown in
various ways (I did a class by examination of real commas on different pianos) but
the greater the inharmonicity on a particular piano the more there is to be gained
by unequal tuning.  The better the piano, or the less the inharmonicity, the more
it becomes a matter of personal judgment- which is no small matter, btw.   A
beautiful piano is going to sound beautiful with a good tuning no matter what
unrestrictive temperament is used.  Inharmonicity has the effect of reducing the
size of the commas. That means a Pythagorean third beats significantly less on a
spinet piano than on a concert grand.   You can have your cake and eat it too.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College