A challenge for Dallas; AT vs ET

James A Busby jab367@email.byu.edu
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:06:23 -0700 (MST)

May I offer a challenge to AT advocates for Dallas;

Please demonstrate at Dallas such claims as whether AT or WT "makes the treble
sound better..." "Sounds more sonorous" etc. etc. There's lot's of claims out
there! Great if it does!! Show me. I would love to hear it. BUT, PLEASE:

1. Put AT on one piano next to an ET tuning on the same model. One piano alone
doesn't allow for comparison.
2. Don't use less than stellar pianos (The effect seems to get lost on old
verticles with excess inharmonicity)
3. Swap the tunings after one day so we can see if it is indeed the tuning and
not the piano that we like...
4. Have some evaluation forms at hand for comments. Share these to the Journal
for possible publication. (Are you there J.G.?)
5. (other readers add more)

Sure, it would be a lot of work, but it's time to put up, or ...
I will volunteer my time to help move, and/or tune, etc. Contact me privately if
need be.

BTW, I will definitely invite other techs over to listen and THEN we can have
better discussions on the debate.

Anyone up to it?

Thanks,
Jim Busby RPT