WT concert

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:59:56 EST

David writes:
<< ET does rule...
David I. >>

Greetings,
   Umm,  based on the empirical evidence, I don't know what ET might "rule".
I do know that ET is rejected in side by side comparisons approx. 95 % of the
time.  This applies to not only roomfulls of piano technicians, but also to
musicians in general, at least, the ones I have encountered.  They all wonder
why they haven't heard of this before, but they certainly do prefer a WT.
Presently, at Vanderbilt, the majority of piano teachers have come to prefer
the Victorian tunings.  It has also been preferred for the Nashville Jazz
Workshop as well as several very public venues around town.
   Techs must have found something attractive about a tuning that allows for
interlocking octave/fifth/third checks, and I suspect that was the initial
reason for the keyboard world finding itself with a strictly equal approach.
The rise of ET seems to have occured two generations after the trade of
"Tuner" came to be recognized.   ET is easy to measure, requires little
subjective decisions and thus, easy to quantify.  However, the musicians
don't see that aspect as a value when comparing ET to WT.

   I know of three different cities where the WT tech is taking business away
from older, established tuners that refuse to believe anything is better than
ET.  The only advice I can offer is that techs that cling to an ET-only
approach do so at their own peril.
   I know, I know,  talk is cheap but experience might have some value.  At
this summer's convention in Dallas, I will be offering a comparison between a
state of the art ET and a straight machine tuning done with Jorgensen's
offsets,(which is how the majority of tuners are producing these temperaments
today). See you there!
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/