getting paid for the concert

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 13:56:10 -0500

Hi Wim,
If you're looking for a technical answer, it would also depend on whether
or not one is EVER "on the clock", i.e. whether the piano tech position is
"classified" (hourly - time oriented) or "unclassified" (salaried, like the
professors - task oriented).  If you're unclassified, even if they
requested you be there, there's no technical time orientation which you can
fall back on to call it overtime.

Even if you're classified, it might be hard to justify to a supervisor that
attending concerts could be considered "on the clock", unless you are
specifically requested to be there.  I've not been asked to attend one yet.
And with the exception of one fortepiano recital I was here right up to
concert time tuning for, I haven't been to one.  Our recital venue only
seats about 200 and I figure the students need the recital credit more than
I do.

What I do like to attend from time to time is rehearsals.  In that setting,
you can learn more about what the performer is trying to achieve, thinks
me.  I will also buy recital recordings from time to time.  They're nice to
have around, and you can play them more than once.  And depending on mic
positioning, you can hear more of what the piano's doing than from the 12th
row.  Over time, you can also get a sense of how the piano is changing.
Jeff

Wim wrote:
> So here is my question. Do any of you consider yourself as being "on the
>clock," when you go to concerts and recitals, even if you are not required
>to go, but do so any way, just in case, or as I do, to enjoy it, and to
>evaluate and listen to potential problems with the piano?
>
> Wim
> U of Alabama

Jeff Tanner
Piano Technician