getting paid for the concert

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 19:16:39 EST

My esteemed cologues

Up to now, I would consider attending recitals and concert in the music
department one of the most enjoyable perks of working for the university. I
enjoy listening to the piano I just got done prepping, making mental notes on
even the slightest imperfect sound.

Even though I am not required to attend the recitals and concerts, and even
though enjoy going to them, I do more or less feel like I'm "on the clock."
I've never been needed during a concert to take care of an emergency, (except
for the "non after ring problem I described recently), but it is still nice
to be there, just in case.

Before I took this job, one of the list members told me that he charges the
university time and a half for "after hours" work. In other words, if he is
called to do a tuning on Sunday, and it takes him 3 hours, including travel
time, he will take off for about 4.5 hours during the week. That seems fair.
After all, if one of the secretaries was asked to come in on Sunday for 3
hours, you can bet she would charge the university time and a half, in either
real pay, or take that time off during the week.

So here is my question. Do any of you consider yourself as being "on the
clock," when you go to concerts and recitals, even if you are not required to
go, but do so any way, just in case, or as I do, to enjoy it, and to evaluate
and listen to potential problems with the piano?

Wim
U of Alabama