Baldwin Action

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 22:35:04 -0500

Dear List Friends-
    Once again your generosity has helped me deliver a product informed =
with knowledge that exceeds my personal experience.
    Thursday evening I picked up the Baldwin SF10 action and had it on =
the bench for a day.
    The origin of the problem was simple: The hammer bore distance was =
5mm too long for the string height.  That's right, the hammers were 5mm =
undercentered, and that's after one or two filings!  Obviously these =
hammers came off the shelf prehung, and good luck to ya'!
    But the problem was to make the best of it in one day, so I
-set let-off as close as possible (gaining nearly 2 mm of  powered blow =
distance there)
-removed the hammer stop rail and set the hammer line to the Baldwin =
spec. of 1& 7/8 inches blow distance.
-pulled rep. lever regulating screws 1-46 and ground 1.5mm off the tip =
and 1.5mm off the top, and replaced them.
-ground 1.5 mm off the tops of 47-55.
-reinforced the holes of 1-46 with a tiny drop of CA .
-replaced and adjusted the hammer rest rail.
-and saw that it worked darn good!
-ironed the bushiings, lubed the bushings and pins, did some touch up =
regulation.
-7 hours work, all told.
    The piano is greatly improved! It has a much greater dynamic range =
with less effort to control. The teacher is delighted.  He was planning =
to sell and replace this piano, now he's thinking about getting new =
hammers....
    It is a great 7 foot piano.  Has the real synchrotone bass strings. =
Unlike a more recent SF10 I've worked on, the agraffes are perpendicular =
to the strings, the bridgepins and notches are aligned, and the tuning =
pins can be turned.  This is a great design if it is built right.  Sad =
to think of what has happened to it.
    But meanwhile, I get to be a hero, thanks to your help.
        Ed  Sutton