shell-shock

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Mon, 03 Feb 2003 12:42:05 -0800

I think the key with any substance used for juicing is having a dilution that allows the hardening agent to penetrate to the depth desired without forming a crust.  Fred Drasche always stressed the "fill-in" method -- starting a bit higher (I start at about 10 & 2 o'clock - on raw marshmallows) with a bit of juice & then fill in below, allowing it to wick almost up to the crown.  The felt filters the solids out as the solvent wicks through, leaving the hardener away from the crown, which avoids that "ping".  (Not always successful, mind you.) You'll notice it travel in a bit of an arch -- faster through the outer/softer layers of the hammer, & acetone flashes off quickly, so one has to watch closely & move down the hammer to compensate.

With the hardener diluted properly, the felt should still be porous, allowing the 2nd application to penetrate.  Acetone softens the hardening agent & wicks it further into the hammer.  My goal is to get just enough hardener into the hammer to bond the fibers elastically, so the resilience is still there.  If my 2nd or 3rd application won't penetrate, then I've gotten the stuff on too thick in the first place.  Then it doesn't matter what I've used as an agent, I'll have to soak the junk out or throw out the hammers.

Otto
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Susan Kline
  To: College and University Technicians
  Sent: Saturday, February 01, 2003 1:50 PM
  Subject: Re: shell-shock

  At 01:40 PM 2/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:

    Oh, I see, it was Steve Kabat who wrote the original note. Sorry.
    Bob D

  No sweat -- I sometimes voice with shellac now (ultrablonde, pretty dilute),
  and it leaves just a little color. I wonder if that would make it easier to
  tell where it was going, when putting it in from the side?

  I've never used it on a fresh set of hammers. I wonder if anyone else
  has used it for initial juicing? So far I've just used a little shellac
  just behind the strike area to add a little brightness, especially in
  the top octave. It seems forgiving, and it doesn't make that "ping" that
  keytop does.

  Susan