Fwd: Bearing difference on different soundboards

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 23:51:27 EST

--part1_4c.178ba642.2b6f4f4f_alt_boundary
In a message dated 2/2/2003 7:36:12 AM Pacific Standard Time,=20
oleg-i@wanadoo.fr writes:

> Subj: RE: Bearing difference on different soundboards=20
>  Date: 2/2/2003 7:36:12 AM Pacific Standard Time
>  From: <A HREF=3D"mailto:oleg-i@wanadoo.fr">oleg-i@wanadoo.fr</A>
>  To: <A HREF=3D"mailto:Erwinspiano@aol.com">Erwinspiano@aol.com</A>
>  Sent from the Internet=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Thanks much , a very good view.
>  =20
> I understand that if we see, for instance 1/4 inch crown from below the=20
> board, that does not really mean that having 1/4 distance bearing at the=20
> string rest will absorb the whole crown, it depends of the back string=20
> length vs. the speaking length.
>  =20
> Do you use this as a "rule of thumb" , or do you go thru that computation=20
> about rear length to know how much distance is allowed before the board=20
> reverse crown ? (as suggested by Nick Gravagne in the articles he write)
>  =20
> The basic idea of my original post is that as we aim for internal tension=20
> in the board to produce a good tonal response, we may use the more=20
> appropriated process when bearing, and that the bearing on cc crowned boar=
d=20
> with nod add that tension (at last in the bass and medium), while on rib=20
> crowned boards, internal tension is very low before down bearing is applie=
d=20
> (unless it is build when you glue the board on its perimeter.
>  =20
> I am very far from truth, or just a little bit .>)=20
> =20
> We too see bearing load applied regularly but without relation to crown=20
> often, and often too I see too much bearing in the killer zone, that tend=20
> to deform even more the panel.  The Bob Grihalva add on seem to help well,=
=20
> and the result is very clear (cleaner tone and better sustain).
>  =20
> =20
> Have a nice Sunday
>  =20
> Stephen is looking for a good place where to have his eyelets made actuall=
y=20
> they are too expensive to be sold.  his string rests are tunable on a 3mm=20
> zone (1.5 high,1.5 down) , and are 5mm tall, but as they have to be=20
> installed on a metal support to be moved, the final height is more of a=20
> Steinway aliquot scale actually.
>  =20
> =20
> Best Regards, form snowy Paris !
>  =20
> Isaac OLEG
>=20
> Entretien et r=E9paration de pianos.
>=20
> PianoTech
> 17 rue de Choisy
> 94400 VITRY sur SEINE
> [...]

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--part1_4c.178ba642.2b6f4f4f_alt_boundary--

An embedded message was scrubbed...