Thank you - Was>Words...etc.

Sat, 01 Feb 2003 18:05:01 -0500

Alan and others (but not all) -

I get the sense that my intended points were perhaps not as evident  and
clarifying as I had hoped.  I'll wait to see if others read it and feel
similarly, however, I would like to respectfully respond to a few of your
comments, and do so 'on list' because it seemed essential that the list, as
a whole, address these problems.

At 02:28 PM 2/1/2003, you wrote:
>At 06:55 AM 2/1/03 -0500, David Skolnik wrote:
>>Dear Keith and all-
>>
>>To let the recent ruffled feathers fade into the archives un-addressed
>>would be a disservice to us all.
>

>Not *all* of us, David.
>I, personally, wish your post had been sent privately as, IMHO, most of
>the other posts on this subject should have been.
>This is not what the list is about and some (perhaps only a few) of us
>have better things to do with our time on-line.

I don't consider any of this in the same vein as some of the disputes which
have taken place on Pianotech, from time to time.  Surely you can't believe
that any discussion of the functioning and direction of the list would be
OT and irrelevant.  The very question I put up for discussion was: "what is
the list about?".

>I wanted to send this reply to the list... to let everyone know that there
>are those of us who do not take part in these petty one or two line posts
>off-topic... but, that's why we're not on the *original* CAUT list anymore
>(you know... the one called Pianotech).
>Keep it simple... keep it private... and don't answer folks on-list who
>don't listen anyway.

I understand why you feel this way, given that you were a participant in
the list from its inception, and it has changed, but my point was to see if
there was some way to retain, or return to the values you find lacking,
while acknowledging the difference in scale (number of participants, not
temperment) that the present lists accommodate.  If this remains a
discussion between you, me, and a few others, it will be of little
value.  That's why I think it belongs public.

>Nothing personal, David, just wanted you to know.  Not taken so

>Regards,
>
>Alan Crane, RPT
>School of Music
>Wichita State University