What is Inertia

Don A. Gilmore eromlignod@kc.rr.com
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:27:07 -0600

Gentlemen:

I think I can straighten out the concept of inertia with a single statement:

***An object exhibits the effects of inertia even if it is standing
still.***

Inertia is just the stubborn tendency of matter to resist change (kind of
like me).  Matter resists a change in its velocity (acceleration).  That
change can be from sitting still to 10 m/s, or it could be changing it from
100 m/s to 110 m/s.  It resists in the form of force (or torque, for a
rotating object).

F = m * a, for linear motion in a straight line
T = J * [alpha], for rotary motion about an axis

Where F is force (newtons, or lbs), m is mass (kg, or slugs), a is
acceleration (m/s^2, or ft/s^2), T is torque (N-m, or lb-ft), J is moment of
inertia (kg-m^2, or slug-ft^2) and [alpha] is angular acceleration in
radians per second squared.  Note that velocity is not involved.  It takes
the same amount of force to accelerate an object from rest as it does if
it's travelling at 1000 mph.

If you're thinking of an already-moving object as possessing the potential
ability to do work or exert force when it is acted upon (like striking
another object) you are thinking about kinetic energy:

KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, for linear motion in a straight line, or
KE = 1/2 * J * w^2, for rotary motion about an axis.

Where m is mass (kg, or slugs), v is velocity (m/s, or ft/s), J is moment of
inertia (kg-m^2, or slug-ft^2) and w is angular velocity in radians/sec.
The answer will be in energy units of either joules (metric), or ft-lbs
(English).

As you can see both properties can vary depending on mass, but only the
latter takes velocity into account.  Of a fast-moving object you could say
that it "has a lot of kinetic energy", but you would *not* say that it "has
a lot of inertia".

Moving objects possess a potentially usable energy.  Inertia is
stubbornness.

Don A. Gilmore
Mechanical Engineer
Kansas City