What is Inertia

Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:16:59 +0100

Ok... getting closer to a common definition... of inertia / moment of
inertia.  But it seems like very many of us are working with an inertia
concept that is tied to velocity in some sense, and Jims post below
doesnt seem to be an exception really.

Perhaps this idea comes from the old "snowball rolling down hill"
analogy... and we think more along the lines the thing picks up speed,
and not so much that it gets bigger..

In anycase... Jim... what exactly do you mean by

"the moment of inertia is proportional to the square of the radius about
the center of rotation, or the pivot, but that relates back to the
change in velocity, whether it be acceleration or deceleration."

How exactly does it relate back to a change in velocity ?

Cheers
RicB

James Ellis wrote:

> Don A. Gilmore, mechanical engineer, Kansas City, is exactly right.  I used
> the wrong words.  I should have said "property" instead of "quantity", and
> I should have said "acceleration" instead of "velocity".  Also,   So my first statement was not
> so far off after all.  Other than that, I'm saying the same thing Don is,
> and I'm also sticking to my guns about the point I'm trying to make.

Cheers
RicB