Harsh clanging bass

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Thu, 04 Dec 2003 15:34:32 -0600

re: let-off

strike a note with the sustain pedal engaged, then immediately bring the
hammer up to the point of escapement (via the key), while the string is
still wildly oscillating.

if escapement is too close, the hammer will get in the way of, and get a
healthy "whack" from the vibrating string... you'll see it!

either / or:

mute the non-speaking length between tuning-pin and aggraffe with your
finger to determine if the "clanging"  is actually leakage.

good luck / let us know

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University
  -----Original Message-----
  From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
PNOTNR@aol.com
  Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 4:30 PM
  To: caut@ptg.org
  Subject: Harsh clanging bass

  We have a Baldwin SD, about 6 years old.  Recently the piano teacher
mentioned that the bottom octave and a half develops a very harsh percussive
sound when notes are repeated at forte or louder.   An inital attack sounds
okay, and the pinning seems similar to the rest of the instrument, (although
I didn't measure the flanges).

  What can I look for as a cause of this problem?  Thanks.

  Gordon Large, RPT
  Colby College
  Waterville, Maine