Harsh clanging bass

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:25:59 EST

In a message dated 12/1/03 4:31:24 PM Central Standard Time, PNOTNR@aol.com
writes:
We have a Baldwin SD, about 6 years old.  Recently the piano teacher
mentioned that the bottom octave and a half develops a very harsh percussive sound
when notes are repeated at forte or louder.   An inital attack sounds okay, and
the pinning seems similar to the rest of the instrument, (although I didn't
measure the flanges).

What can I look for as a cause of this problem?  Thanks.

Gordon Large, RPT
Colby College
Waterville, Maine
I've observed a similar sound on large Baldwins. I think it is just an
overplaying of the note. The string can only take on so much vibration before it
starts to distort itself. I don't think it has anything to do with the pinning.
And I'm not sure if voicing it down will solve the problem either.

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano tuner/technician
School of Music