It's Alive!!!!

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Wed, 03 Dec 2003 12:27:54 -0800

That would be laquer -- ie:  spray laquer in another guise.  It has a different cachet when diguised with perfume & labeled hairspray, thereby making it more politically correct than the spray bomb this old Idaho spud advocated some months back -- to no comment from the gallery, he added with a hurt & wistful keystroke.  ;-)  Ah, you are a fickle bunch!  :-)

Actually, the spray laquer (under whatever guise it lurks) can provide a surface stability to the hammer, somewhat akin to the skin on a golf ball.  It allows the core to remain resilient while containing the energy within so it rebounds off the string quickly, thereby giving power without sacrificing tone/colour.  A little acetone on the strike point eliminates most of the zings associated with harderners.  The results are almost instantaneous and can be easily reversed.

Soaking the hammer with laquer, or whatever one chooses, merely makes a solid felt & laquer lump on the end of the shank.  Kind of like golfing with a rock -- makes lots of noise but doesn't go very far.  (Don't get me wrong here.  I use hardeners which soak into the hammer as well, but try to keep the solution thin & applications minimal.)

Try it on that old/new duffer D & see what happens.  It can allow the piano to develope some decent tone & the resulting increased playing time that is a pleasure, rather than a sentence.  When the piano gets played in, the first shaping will probably take that crust off.  You can then elect to re-apply or not.

Otto
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David M. Porritt
  To: caut@ptg.org
  Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 10:15 AM
  Subject: Re: It's Alive!!!!

  Roger:

  What kind of hairspray?

  dave

  David M. Porritt, RPT

  Meadows School of the Arts

  Southern Methodist University

  Dallas, TX 75275

  From: Roger Jolly <roger.j@sasktel.net>
  To: College and University Technicians <caut@ptg.org>

  Hi Wim,
                  Comments like, "It is stiffer".  Is all too often tone related.  Just last weekend I had this comment from Vladimir Viardo, who was playing Rach2, sprayed the strike points with hair spray, and he thought I was a genius.  He thanked me for making the action more even and lighter.   (Chuckling)  All I did was spray the hammers.5 mins work tops.  Next time I see the piano, buff off the Hair Spray crust with 400 grit paper.  Now how do I charge for  for a full voicing job?

  Since you are getting these comments from visiting performers of out standing quality, it really sounds as if the piano needs more tone building,  Are your Profs  in the league of Misha Dichter?    OMG University politics.  <G>

  Walk carefully and carry a big stick.
  Roger