clavichord

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:29:19 -0500

They are pretty straight forward.  I built and have a large
one at home, which is what I prefer to play.  You won't find
anything in piano supply houses.  The tuning process is
obviously different depending on fretted or unfretted.
There are preferences either way, but I much prefer the
flexibility of unfretted.  It helps greatly for the tangents
to be thinned and buffed clean. Not too sharp or too flat.
Small adjustments can be made by bending but you like them
to hit square, not unlike piano hammers.  There are a lot of
junk clavichords too (like anything else) so evaluate the
merits and potential before making promises.

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College