New HVAC

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 17:18:40 EDT

I got some wonderful news yesterday. I attended a meeting where the
university brought in some high tech HVAC system people. The music department
building, (Moody Music Hall), is having the entire HVAC system overhauled.
The main building maitanance chairman, and the assistant dean for the College
of Arts & Scinces were in attendace, so I know they didn't bring in some
local guy to fix a small repair.

The mian technician for the company asked the chair and me what was needed.
The main problem is our concert hall. It is not unusual for the temperature
to be down in the 60 during the day. When there are just a few people in
there, (less than 100 in a 900 seat hall), it's very uncomfortable to sit
through a concert. You can imagine what it is doing to the pianos. The other
main problem is the practice rooms and the class rooms. The controls are
broken, and the temperature in some practice rooms are actually in the low
60's during the summer. And this past winter, every piano in the building
went out of tune, some going down as much as 45 cents, because of a lack of
humidity.

What is so great is that this guy asked us what the ideal situation is? We
responded that the temperature needs to be at 72 degrees and the humidity at
50%. But, we told him, what is more important is that it remains constant. He
asked how much variance would be acceptable. I answered, not more than 2
degrees in temperature and no more than 5% humidity. He asked if that was 5%
up and 5% down, or 5% over all. I said 5% over all. He said he couldn't
guarantee it, but they will try to do that.

They are going to be here for 4 - 6 weeks. I'll let you guys know how it
worked out.

Wim