Questions about key bushings. - bushing material -tools

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 18:34:02 -0400

Re: Questions about key bushings.Isaac-
I've used leather keybushings, and have found that 2 or 3 applications =
of ballistol are needed for free movement of the front keybushing.  This =
was not for noise, but due to performer's complaint of too much =
friction.  Balistol is promoted as a leather preservative.  I've found =
leather front keybushings in German pianos of the late 19th century in =
remarkably good condition.
The keypins, of course, were beautifully smooth and polished.
Ed S.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Isaac OLEG=20
  To: Vincent E. Mrykalo ; College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 4:58 PM
  Subject: RE: Questions about key bushings. - bushing material -tools

  Hello Vincent,

  I asked around me, nobody tells me that he uses oil (Ballistol or =
such) on leather bushings, neither in Bechstein factory or elsewhere.

  I was told on the contrary that the leather needs less side play than =
the cloth, but that when it takes a slight amount of play it will be =
more noisy soon.

  My main concern is using it on the front key bushings, I don't recall =
having seen that done on any instrument, I guess the friction may be =
high.

  I also have been highly praised the good quality clothes with nylon =
(or ?) inside that comes from Japan, as to be a material of choice for =
bushing work (info from a friend, tech for the Paris  school of music, =
he does 40 key bushings set/year approximatively)

  By the way he tells me to use some acid oxalic if precedent bushings =
have been glued with a hard white glue, a pass with a damp rag and an =
iron using this acid (don't smell the fumes) soften the glue fast he =
tells me.

  Another useful information is that cork grease is not acid so it =
eventually is better than mutton tallow for leather/metal lubrication. I =
don't use it on key pins nowadays, only Teflon spray, and a very good =
quality I have from Sweden (McLube 125).

  He also tells me he made 3 complete keyboard sets with the =
OLIAG/JAHN's key restoration tool (same kind than the Onesti tool but =
guided by the cylindrical hole in the key) and he have a perfect font to =
back placement and centering. But he made himself the wood washers, the =
ones sold originally with the tool are totally useless (too soft wood).

  Greetings

  Isaac OLEG

  Entretien et r=E9paration de pianos.

  PianoTech