Bass string fest

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 23:08:32 +0200

On may be 50 schools instruments I service, I did not change any bass
string for 4 years.

I had to change some on Steinway grand's (D) played in Radio France,
but the problem was mostly coming from a "fight" among tuners, one
tuning basses way lower than 12:6 , others more clean, and the piano
of course tell us its disapprobation ...

I noticed that regulation (and of course good voicing care) is of
first importance in breaking strings, the way the tuner move the
strings play a role for sure also. If the pianist is getting what he
expect from the keyboard, I believe he tend to be less violent (nobody
like the tone of over saturating piano)

I guess also that I've tuned so many rusty old 1/2 tone flat pianos
that I learned how to treat them nice and avoid changing too much
strings, and that is useful now.

But probably I am just lucky !

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et reparation de pianos.