Questions about key bushings.

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:48:08 +0200

Dear colleagues,

I have just seen the 20 instruments that are in a little school I will work
for next year.
These instruments are 30 to10 years old. Since 3 years, a lot of work have
been done on almost all instruments, so many have been repined, new strings
on some, actions refurbishing, new key bushings.

The problem lies on these last, all the key bushing jobs are showing a lot
of side play, and even front to back play in some case. I was wandering how
an other while relatively decent (but not too expensive !) repair job could
turn in a so inefficient result. May be the bushing cloth used was very
poor, but, as even the one which are less worn are noisy, I suspect that
white glue or Titebond have been used for the gluing, causing the hardness
of the felts and the fast worn out.

I consider using leather, for the schools now, I made a few sets on the
balance mortise, and find the job to be not very different. Indeed the
leather (Renner) is a bit more noisy, but I prefer that to have to sell
bushing work every 4 years.

My question was about using leather in the front mortise, and if every kind
of key pin will accept the leather bushing. For instance brass key pins may
be will be worn out by the leather more than by the felt, so the play will
be there , finally.

Is not leather in the front bushing really to hard and noisy under the
fingers ?

I've heard that some of you use kangaroo leather , where is it sold ? any
feedback ?

I was pleased with the 2 sizes of the Renner bushing, on the Bechstein and
the Bösendorfer I made I did not thin the leather it was very accurate ti
begin with (and I did not use any oil on it, as someone wrote once, too
afraid to have dirt and may be squeaks with this method).

Thanks in advance

Good Easter day to all, Pessah for some !

Isaac OLEG

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.

PianoTech