1st partial

Thu, 31 Oct 2002 23:50:28 +0100

Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> One of the piano profs called me into his office and asked
> if I could tune the 1st octave so that more of the 1st
> partial can be heard.
>
> He played C2 while holding down C3, and the first partial
> sounded on C3. But when he held down C2, and played C1,
> the first partial wasn't there. Such was also the case in
> all the notes from A0 - B1.
>
> How can I tune that first octave to have the first partial
> sound on the octave above?
>
> I use a SATIII, using the program from Sanderson.
>
> Wim

You cant really Wim. Two things to remember here, and I am
sure you already have this in the back of your mind. The
strength of individual partials is very much limited by the
acousitic capablilities of the instrument, and below C3 the
1st partial begins to drop rather quickly in strength. Now
the only way you could really reinforce the fundemental from
the 2nd an octave below would be to tune them pure, or very
nearly so, and you know in the bass that doenst work so well
with regard to higher partials that are more readily heard.

You can do things like this higher up, but this kind of
priority is not built into the SAT, RCT, or other ETD's to
my knowledge, so you have to set the ETD's manually to help
you if you are going to use them in that fashion.

Another point to be aware of is that its probably not all
that desirable to strengthen the fundemental of very low
notes too awfully much. At some point the instrument would
begin to sound quite foreign to what we have come to know as
piano sound.

Just my take on it.

RicB

--