Competitions

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 09:33:32 -0500

List,

Do any of you have concerto competitions for the students at your
school? We just had one last weekend that involved two divisions:
wind/percussion/harp and piano (next year will be strings & voice).
They can be such a pain sometimes. I had to come in about 6 AM on
a Sat. in order to get them both tuned.

Yesterday, I had a chance to retune the piano the pianists used
and I couldn't believe how well it came through, considering what
was played:

1. Prokofiev #2
2. Ravel Concerto
3. Khachaturian Concerto
4. Rachmaninoff #1
5. Tchaikovsky #1
6. Chopin #2

There were also 3 others but I don't know what they played! I don't
really know why I'm posting this except that I'm just so continually
impressed with the stability of that piano (a rebuilt 1947 'D').

Not even a broken string! Maybe I just got lucky though, considering
one broke while I was tuning that morning. :-)

OK. Back to work.

Avery