EBVT Offsets (compilation)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 05 Oct 2002 08:22:57 -0500

>>why wouldn't the offsets from the adjusted ET be pretty close to where it
>>belongs from piano to piano?
>
>For much the same reason that the adjusted ET itself is only pretty close
>and not dead on -- inconsistent inharmonicity. The exact placement of
>partials cannot be precisely predicted, only assumed. The lower partials
>of notes in the tenor can be particularly inconsistent, thereby wreaking
>havoc with any assumptions.
>
>As Ed alluded to, if a temperament calls for a beatless 5th, and both
>notes are tuned by the ETD from their 3rd partials, and the 2nd partial of
>the upper note of the 5th is off in left field somewhere, then the 5th
>will not be beatless.
>
>Extend the concept to every other interval. It can be ugly.
>
>Kent S

>In equal beating temperaments, the intervals of concern may not be same
>class intervals, for instance, in a triad, the third and fifth may beat at a
>ratio of 6/1.  Inharmonicity could throw this off.
>Ed Sutton

Kent, Ed,
Don't the same inharmonicity problems exist in setting an ET with an ETD?
How far off is "off", and what's the tolerance for "beatless", and the
penalty for deviation? And won't the tuner listen to the results and adjust
if and as necessary like any good ETD tuner - assuming some knowledge of
what intervals are beatless, equal beating, nearly equal beating, etc? I
guess I'm asking how fine a practical hair is being split here.

Ron N