EBVT Offsets (compilation)

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 13:26:28 -0500

On Saturday, October 5, 2002, at 08:22 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

> Kent, Ed,
> Don't the same inharmonicity problems exist in setting an ET with an
> ETD? How far off is "off", and what's the tolerance for "beatless",
> and the penalty for deviation? And won't the tuner listen to the
> results and adjust if and as necessary like any good ETD tuner -
> assuming some knowledge of what intervals are beatless, equal beating,
> nearly equal beating, etc? I guess I'm asking how fine a practical
> hair is being split here.

As Rick Baldassin says, "Excellent questions! Don't ask them again!"

Aren't these the questions every tuner has to answer for him/herself?
Some customers require more hairsplitting than others. Some pianos
allow for more hairsplitting than others.

At the risk of walking into a minefield here, there are ETD-based
temperaments out there for which no guidelines for the absolute /
relative beating, "beatless, equal beating, nearly equal beating"
intervals are available. So the tuner _cannot_ listen and adjust as
necessary. Not a good thing, IMO.

Kent S