Steinway Fallboard Hinge Noise

Wolfley, Eric (WOLFLEEL) WOLFLEEL@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:31:05 -0500

John,

You can take the hinges off and give them a little bend. Sort of jimmy them
up, so to speak, so they don't rattle. This has worked for me in the past. I
think they put the hinged flap on there so the pianist won't break his/her
fingers on the fallboard when going for the bravura fortississimo effects.
It also makes it easier to scratch and gouge the face of the fallboard.

Eric Wolfley
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati