Tuning lever tip: quality of fit?

Michael Gebhardt michael.gebhardt@swipnet.se
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 23:23:35 +0100

> This suggests to me at least, that a well made tip should
> work for most every pin.  Yes, you can get used to a
> rocky fit on the pin if you've never used a tip that fits
> snugly. I just asked my student assistant if it bothered
> him, and he said that he's used to it (he's been using it
> a year and a half, and has never used anything else).
> But once you've experienced that level of control, it is
> difficult to accept the loose rocking that accompanies
> these tips.  It feels like you're a beginner again,
> especially on an instrument with tight pins.
>
> Jeff

That reflects my own experience so far. Well, I don't know
how a well-fitting lever feels to use. But intuitively I
miss the possibility to actively stop the motion of the pin
(by blocking it with the lever) just in the very same
moment as it begins to turn in the pinblock. So my common
sense hypothesis is that if the lever has to loosely slip
1/2 inch in the opposite direction before getting grip on
the pin and blocking its movement, the pin has enough time
to continue its movement too far and stop its motion by
itself. The problem is of course more noticeable for tight
pins.

On the other hand, you might argue that even the slightest
rocking could made such precise control impossible, so you
would actually need a *perfectly* fitting tip, and that is
hardly possible to achieve in practice, or is it? Any
thoughts on that?

Michael