Tuning lever tip: quality of fit?

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 12:10:01 -0500

Hi Joe,
I thought you might chime in on this one!

I've never found a tuning pin that my APSCO #2 tips didn't fit snugly on,
with the exception of the rare pins which have been badly marred up.  On
the other hand, I've not found a pin that either my Schaff #2 tip, or my
newer APSCO/Hale tips, WILL fit snugly on.  I even ordered an APSCO/Hale #1
tip, just to see if it was a mislabeling problem, and it exhibits the same
characteristics as the #2s, just higher up on the pin:  Sloppy fit on every
pin, but even sloppier in one direction than the other.

This suggests to me at least, that a well made tip should work for most
every pin.  Yes, you can get used to a rocky fit on the pin if you've never
used a tip that fits snugly. I just asked my student assistant if it
bothered him, and he said that he's used to it (he's been using it a year
and a half, and has never used anything else).  But once you've experienced
that level of control, it is difficult to accept the loose rocking that
accompanies these tips.  It feels like you're a beginner again, especially
on an instrument with tight pins.

Jeff

>Hi Mike,
>You call the tip the problem child, while on the other hand could it be that
>it is the pin that is different from one manufacture to another?
>I would suggest taking notice of how you are using the tuning lever and
>learn how to accomodate the variance from one piano to another.
>It is somewhat like being able to tune in a noisey situation. As earlier
>posts on that subject have sugested it is easier if you don't think so much
>about it. "It doesn't matter if you don't mind it".<G>
>The rocking is caused by the fact that the broach used to make the tip does
>not match up with the sholder of the tuning pin square end. The pin end is
>tapered and it seems that different manufactures have different ideas on
>what the taper should be O:((
>Now the wrong labeling of the size of the tip, thats another issue. At
>Chicago Schaff had tips marked #3 that were #2s.
>Joe Goss
>imatunr@srvinet.com
>www.mothergoosetools.com

Jeff Tanner