Tuning lever tip: quality of fit?

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:33:06 -0500

Hi Michael (and the piano technicians tool manufacturing industry),

Congratulations on your decision to pursue one of the most rewarding crafts
there is anywhere!  I wish you the best of success in your new challenge.
I hope that we as technicians can help you along the way.

Since about 1992, I've been using APSCO #2 tips.  I tried them after
ordering a Schaff tuning hammer after I lost my original Hale hammer from
Tuner's Supply (stupid stupid me!)  The Schaff hammer I ordered (the #6)
had some problems -- the head stripped out on the shaft the first time I
screwed it on, and the tip rocked badly on the pins.  I couldn't tune a
piano with it.  I sent the first one back, and received an exact duplicate
of problems with the replacement hammer.  But when I ordered a couple of
APSCO heads and tips, they fit the pins beautifully.  The head even fit the
Schaff lever better than the Schaff head did, or at least it would tighten
down so that it wouldn't keep turning on the shaff as you tuned.  After
this experience I placed nearly all my tool and parts orders exclusively
with APSCO, until just recently.  Wish I'd ordered more of the APSCO tips
and heads before the change to the new Hale design tips was made.
Unfortunately, the APSCO tips like the ones I prefer are no longer
available.

About a year ago, I ordered some of the new Hale tips from APSCO.  They
rock just as you say.  I cannot get the control with these tips I get with
my old APSCO tips, or with my original Hale tip I lost.  Your concern is
not unwarranted.  And you are correct, depending on which corner of the
star contacts the pins, the rocking is different, so this is a quality
control problem.  It is exactly the same as with my Schaff hammer.  I am
frustrated with these tips, and now that APSCO is no longer in business, we
may have no recourse for making them good.  Shaff contended when they
bought APSCO a year or so ago that they would continue to run it as a
separate company, but they've let us down there now.  Schaff now owns the
remaining stock of APSCO, but I don't know if anyone knows what their plans
are for the Hale line of products.  It would be a shame to see a
century-old name synonymous with the highest quality in the industry simply
disappear.

An article in the Journal a year or so back informed us that there is no
standard of uniformity in manufacturing tuning tips in the industry.  This
is unfortunate.  Surely with the level of technology we have today, someone
could make consistent star tips.  I've never tried the Japanese hammers, so
I don't know how the fit of the tip compares to the American tips.  The
article suggested purchasing your tips when you go to PTG events when
suppliers are present so that you can compare the fit on a pin, or ordering
several and trying them out and sending back the duds.  This is probably
the only way you have to find a tip that fits pins.

There are other tuning hammer manufacturers but their products are much
more expensive, and I really have no idea whether they manufacture their
own tips or use those which are available from other suppliers.

I wish Schaff would continue to manufacture the Hale products, or sell the
name and equipment so that someone else can because we need a choice, and
that the quality of tips available industry-wide should receive a good bit
more attention to this problem in the future.

With the exception of the tip, you have an excellent, well made tool there,
and you can learn to use it as it is until you find something better
available.  I have a student assistant who is doing quite well with one of
them.  But I think he'd do even better with a tip that fit the pins.  I can
tune with them, but there is a big adjustment to make in technique. Just be
careful while tuning verticals, because it can drop right off the pin, and
when it does, it will not only scare the heck out of you, it could fall
into the action or onto the fallboard and cause a lot of damage.

We as technicians need to start raising a fuss about tips.

Yes, I'm equally frustrated, and I've posted before on this same subject.

Jeff