maintenance figures

Fred S. Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:54:32 -0700

Blaine,
    From the point of view of a donor, what is wanted is a ballpark figure
with some degree of credibility. No need to agonize over details. I would tend
to look at issues of major parts replacement/rebuilding at fixed intervals as
the main components, together with something on the lines of what Richard West
compiled for intermediate care (accelerated for the larger grands). It's
troublesome to come up with firm figures, but maybe somewhere in the
neighborhood of 5% (2 to 8%?) of the cost of the piano (new) would end up
being fairly close for an annual basis. Of course, depending on how heavily
used, and how critical the use is. Which might mean that, if looking to get a
donation which would cover a piano and its ongoing maintenance, one would ask
for somewhere close to the value of the piano as an endowment.
    That's "educated guesswork," and I'd love to see some discussion along
these lines, as such a figure (IOW as percentage of piano value) would be very
useful to have as a rule of thumb.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico