maintenance figures

Jorgensen, Michael L jorge1ml@cmich.edu
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:05:06 -0500

Hi Blaine,
    That's a tough one since humidity swings, usage, expected standards vary so much and yet will have tremendous impact.   I know Willem was designing a task based workload formula which would be very useful for that.

 Under average conditions, to maintain in reasonably good condition,

After initial prep to highest standards,
4 yearly good solid tuning/voicings minimum (1.3 days)
1 action regulation after six months and every two years thereafter (3 days each)
Replacement of certain parts 10 years away.  (10 days plus cost of parts)

A piano kept at highest level during busy concert seasons, 3-4 hours weekly on tuning, voicing, and keeping regulation to exacting standards is possible.  Replacement of hammers could come in as little as three years.  A second piano voiced differently will reduce the amount of voicing and increase the longevity of hammers..  One voicing standard does not please every pianist.

So there are many major variables here and fees vary widely.

-Mike