Searching PTJ (was Old Journal Articles)

Robert Hohf rhohf@idcnet.com
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:44:48 -0600

As far as I know there are no plans to index or access Journal articles on
the PTG website.  Last year we studied the feasibility of an independent
Journal website but abandoned the project as too expensive and labor
intensive.  The Journal CDs provide better access to articles than has ever
been available before, and new CDs will be made to keep this resource up to
date.

Here is a step-by-step method of installing the CDs from Kent Swafford.
This makes it easy to search all 20 years of Journals on the CDs at once.  A
word of advice:  don't install the version of Adobe from the CDs.  Go to the
Adobe website and get the most recent version.

INSTALLING THE 5 JOURNAL CD-ROMS TO A WINDOWS HARD DRIVE

(Copying entire content of the CD¹s to a hard drive requires 2.51 gigs of
free space.)

1. create a folder called journal
2. create a folder within journal called disk1ptg
3. create a folder within journal called disk2ptg
4. create a folder within journal called disk3ptg
5. create a folder within journal called disk4ptg
6. create a folder within journal called PTJarchive
7. insert cdrom disk one into drive
8. open cdrom
9. set a block over all items in disk one by rolling over from ctrl to A.
10. click copy
11. move to folder called disk1ptg
12. click paste.
13. wait
14. remove cdrom and put in disk two
15. open cdrom
16. select index and papers by holding down the ctrl key and clicking each
one once.
17. click copy
18. move to folder called disk2ptg
19. click paste
20. wait
21. remove cdrom and put in disk three; open cdrom
22. select index and papers by holding down the ctrol key and clicking each
one once.
23. click copy
24. move to folder called disk3ptg
25. click paste
26. wait
27. remove cdrom and put in disk four; open cdrom
28. select index and papers by holding down the ctrl key and clicking each
one once.
29. click copy
30. move to folder called disk4ptg
31. click paste
32. wait
33. remove cdrom and put in reprint cdrom; open cdrom
34. select index, resource, index.pdx and piano.pdf by holding down the
ctrl key and clicking each one once.
35. click copy
36. move to folder called PTJarchive
37. click paste
38. wait
39. install adobe acrobat from disk1ptg folder
40. open any .pdf file from disk1ptg folder
41. click global search
42. click indexes
43. click add
44. open the folder called journal
45. open the folder called disk1ptg
46. open the folder called index
47. open the file called index.pdx
48. repeat steps 41 thru 47 selecting disk2ptg\index\index.pdx,
disk3ptg\index\index.pdx, disk4ptg\index\index.pdx
49. repeat steps 41 thru 44.
50. open the folder called PTJarchive
51. open the file called index.pdx

> That brings up a question I was about to ask. I remember at a cyber cafe a
couple years ago being shown how to search the entire PTJ cd (both cd's) if
they were loaded to the hard drive. IOW,
> not separate searches for portions, but a single search of the entirety.
Since I didn't have a large enough hard drive, I promptly forgot. Could
someone give some brief instructions about how
> that might work? My recollection is that it involved simply creating a
single folder with a specific name, and dragging all the content files into
it.
> Thanks,
> Fred Sturm
> University of New Mexico
>
> "Jorgensen, Michael L" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >      Does the ptg website or anywhere have a search method for old PTJ
articles by title subject or author.   I'm looking for one which I think was
called "The pitch wars"  from years ago.
> > -Mike

Bob Hohf, RPT
Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
voice:  262-495-8058