fingerprints

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 14:17:56 -0800

At 06:40 PM 11/20/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Hey folks,
>We have some 7' Steinway grands that have over 30 years of fingerprints on
>them.  We also have a Baldwin SD-10 about the same age.   We are beginning
>a program to rebuild them but that will take five or 6 years.  They are
>traditional black and I would like to clean them up some.

I wipe them down firmly with a barely damp (clean) towel every time I tune
them. This helps a lot, though the first time takes a lot of work above the
fallboard and on the cheeks, getting rid of the layer of ossified mud.

I've had good luck with the Cory product for satin pianos, but for heavily
soiled pianos I'd get off most of the crud with a damp towel first.

Susan Kline
Linfield College