Concert grands

isaacah isaacah@sprint.ca
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:55:25 -0500

Hi.

This might sound a bit like a sales pitch but it happens to be true as =
well.

If you put a set of Isaac Cadenzas on the Yamaha concert grand - you'll =
get a lot more tone out of that piano than with either of the sets you =
mentioned.

Ari Isaac.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David M. Porritt=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, November 18, 2002 12:48 PM
  Subject: Concert grands

  Until a couple of years ago we had 2 Steinway "D"s in our larger =
recital hall.  One (1983) was wonderful, the other (1993) was somewhat =
less than wonderful.  When it came time to trade one of them (i.e. a =
donor was found) we didn't find any Steinway that was universally liked. =
 We did find a Yamaha CFIIIS that was purchased. =20

  Since the one we kept (1983) was my favorite piano in the world, I =
fully expected to dislike the Yamaha.  I can't!
  My favorite now is which ever one I'm playing!

  The Steinway "faithful" can't imagine why we bought this un-Steinway.  =
They claim the Yamaha has a nice sound, but the Steinway has "The =
Steinway Sound" whatever that is. =20

  This morning I had a few extra minutes and both pianos were side by =
side.  I played one, then the other.  I played 8 measures on one, then =
the same 8 measures on the other.  A big chord on one, the the same big =
chord on the other.  At this point I started to think that the basic =
difference was the hammers.  The Steinway has Renner Blues, the Yamaha =
has factory original Yamahas. =20

  So my question:  Has anyone ever heard, worked on, or played a CFIIIS =
with Renner hammers?  The hammers that are on there are too new to =
replace at this point, but someday they'll need to go and I'd love to =
have someone else's experience on this.

  Thanks,

  dave
David M. Porritt