Replacing Steinway Action Frame?

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Thu, 07 Nov 2002 15:43:05 -0600

John-
    I had a conversation with someone about this at the Atlanta Regional
last month.  I had recently replaced two rails, she had opted for the new
frame.
    We concluded the new frame was probably the best way to go when you have
two rails to replace.
    You will have to be attentive in shimming and spacing the new action
frame with a few action parts in place to get the geometry right. And you
will have to add the let-off screws and buttons.
    (If for some reason the new frame really won't fit, you can probably
return it to Steinway.)
    If you replace the rails yourself, count on a half day's work to build
an indexing frame to position the rails, 3-4 hours to do the job if you have
a frame already built.  (Use old shanks and flanges gobbed together with
thick CA glue to index the rails.  If you want to go this way, I'll give the
details.)
    If you send it out, you will need to build a crate, and the cost of
having two new rails bored and soldered in is more than the cost of the new
stack.
    I found the genuine Steinway rails were as accurately drilled as the
finest duplicate of a genuine Steinway rail, so lateral spacing was not a
great problem, just genuine Steinway as usual.
    Ed Sutton