Accu-just HPs in Steinway D :(

Richard Brekne richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no
Thu May 30 15:44 MDT 2002

 Scott Thile wrote:

>Hello folks,
>
>My summer rebuild project this year is the older of the two Steinway D's we
>have in our main recital hall. I'm really glad to be rebuilding it, but
>unfortunately it's had some nasty things done to it that will make it a
>tough project, one of them being the retrofitting of accu-adjust (Baldwin
>style) hitch pins......

>....who wants Steinwin? Actually, they also installed a M&H spider
(tensioner).
>I think I can repair that mess fine, although it will be a bunch of
>woodwork. So I guess it's actually a Steinwin & Hamlin.

I would suggest (at this point anyways...) in intalling tuningpin plate
bushings and calling the finished monster a Yamasteinlin

>Why do people do these things??

Who knows... curiousity I suppose, and the opportunity to use someone elses
money ?

>Any advice on the HPs, especially from someone who has successfully dealt
>with this, would be greatly appreciated.

This one is out of my ballpark for sure. But I do wish you luck. I wonder tho
if at this point it might be wisest to leave the hitch pins as they are, and
try as best you can to duplicate what Steinway thinks is right for downbearing
?? You might also want to see if you can figure out why on earth they installed
 the M&H device ? It would not do to have the darn thing explode on you now
would it ? grin.

>Thanks,
>Scott
>-------