Statement?

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Thu May 23 10:19 MDT 2002

Wim wrote:
>Arguing that "unskilled" workers in the private sector make more money
>than 'government workers" is as old as the government itself. Teachers
>with Masters and 30 years experience make less than automobile
>manufacturer assembly line workers with 5 years of experience.

Wim,
You might want to check this out.  Obviously, it would depend on what state
the teacher works in, but I've got a copy of Georgia's teacher pay scale
for the 2002-03 year.  The teacher you describe will earn a base salary
$49,145 according to that schedule.  Actually, 19+ years is as high as the
schedule goes.  Granted, I don't know what an auto assembly line worker
makes - and that would be easy enough to find out on the internet - but
that's not a shabby salary for a 190-day contract.

Add a 6-year degree, which would be easy enough to do inside of 19 years
and at the 19+ year level, you jump to $55,533, and a PHD will get you
$61,641 for the same 190-day contract.

This doesn't factor in local supplements for positions like band/choral
directors, counselors, coaches, club-sponsors, etc., which can be quite
substantial.

And teachers are underpaid...

...What's that say about us?

Auto workers are well paid due to the ridiculous cost of living in Detroit,
and their union has been successful in helping them to earn a decent living
in the area where they work.

Jeff