Piano Industry (was Accu-just HPs in Steinway D :()

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Fri Jun 7 12:28 MDT 2002

Del wrote:
>It's no secret that the piano industry is rapidly shrinking. Usually, and it
>is so in this case, a shrinking industry is the result of a shrinking
>market. Yet the makers of pianos continue to ignore the largest single block
>of new piano buyers -- the current piano owner -- by offering them nothing
>better enough to entice them back into the piano store.

And annual and semi-annual price increases at rates faster than family
income increases don't help either.  Band instrument manufacturers are just
as guilty.  My son wants to play the saxophone, so I went to check prices
and absolutely could not believe the prices I was given.

With housing, transportation, and health care costs rising at such a fast
pace, combined with the increasing costs of new instruments, the average
family simply can't afford new pianos at these prices, especially when
they've got to buy a band instrument too.

Also, we need more Billy Joels in the recording industry to spur interest
in the instrument again.  (Remember the days when you actually saw pianos
on MTV and VH1?)  I can't think of one piano playing commercial recording
artist who has emerged in the last two decades.  The piano industry itself
ought to be scouting every nook and cranny for talent with the ability to
resurrect the piano in commercial music.

Simultaneously, schools of music need to acknowledge commercial music as a
legitimate form of musical expression which serves to compliment classical
music, and encourage its development, rather than snubbing noses at it.

My 2 cents,
Jeff

Jeff Tanner
Piano Technician