rep springs

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Thu Jun 6 10:38 MDT 2002

At 11:15 AM 6/6/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Adjust them in the summer and notice next winter the rate of lift and
>maintain that for most pianos.
>Performance pianos require constant adjustment of the top action with
>seasonal changes.  If you set
>the letoff  close in winter, they'll be blocking in summer.  the TLRG from
>Pianotek is perfect for these
>seasonal touch-ups.
>
>Regards,
>
>Jon Page,   piano technician

You don't mention (modestly) who invented the invaluable Taut Line
Regulation Gauge! Yes, it helps a lot, especially for those moments
when an action HAS to be finished, PRONTO, and returned for an event.

I concur with the "fastest rise without the bounce". Springs seem
stronger as centers loosen with wear, but they aren't. In Linfield
College's performance instruments, I've found a lot of what seem
to me overly loose centers, even though there is no side motion.
Controllability suffers, and to avoid the bounce coming out of check,
springs would have to be too weak for the quickness of jack return
which I would like. I'm gradually trying to break loose some time
to repin all hammers and many wippens and rep levers on these
instruments, with great improvement in feel. Luckily we don't have
the seasonal high humidity to contend with, just lots of use. Given
the amount of use these pianos get, pinning to six swings seems
not all that economical, since they'll just get too loose again
too soon. I like closer to 4, so long as pianos don't have a weight
problem, and friction elsewhere (such as keypins) has been minimized.
Of course, 4 would be ill-advised in winter in places with damp summers.

MHO, etc.

Susan Kline
Linfield College, McMinnville, OR