rep springs

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu Jun 6 09:24 MDT 2002

The question has always been "What constitutes 'gentle' rise?" In my
experience, rise should be positive and rather rapid. 'Gentleness'
consists in making sure there is no bounce or hop at the top of rise. I
was taught you shouldn't be able to feel the rise as you let out of
check. I have found that it is more a matter of what you feel - you
should be able to feel something, but watch out for that bump at the end
and eliminate it. _Just_ eliminate it.
	Stronger springs, under the parameters I describe, will usually suffice
to deal with seasonal changes (though when humidity is high when you
regulate, then drops, it may be that in sensitive situations you'll need
to weaken again due to looser centers. Because you'll get complaints
about lack of check in pianissimo playing. Though often that may be more
a matter of aftertouch - capstans).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico