Genuine Steinway Action Rails Split

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri Jul 12 14:41 MDT 2002

>I'm thinking of a boardgame where the variables of the tubular rail, a
> previous generation's worth of stripped screw-hole repairs, worn rail cloth
> and the limitless variety of hammer-traveling options these provide are
> color coded with a spinner in the middle. "Spin to choose your contortion,
> then just try and make the shank/flange conform to it!"

Hmm,  don't forget the variables in the drilling for the agraffes, or the
string spacing under the capo bar, or the notching of the bridges. Strings on
Steinways are always in different places.

   Observe the "mini-break" on the Steinway B around note 25(?),  there will
always be a slightly wider gap there where the strings(at their distal end)
go to either side of the plate strut.  You won't find a 20 note bass action
rail that has those two hammerflange holes spread to match.....
    A perfectly set up action has to take the stringing into account, no?
Regards,
Ed Foote