Voicing

vem@email.byu.edu vem@email.byu.edu
Wed Jul 10 21:13 MDT 2002

Ed, how did you come to the conclusion that adding weight to the hammers will
bring out the fundamental?  And how wouldneedling the shoulders of a lacquer-
hardened hammer increase sustain as Roger Jolley said?
vince
- Dear Lance-
-     Well, this will be a chance to test your communication skills!
-     You might take a look at Richard Akins' article in the July 01 Journal.
- Side needling does less damage to hammers, and might reduce the noise.
-     Also you could try adding some weight (3/4" office binder clips at the
- end of the shanks, then remove the wire handles) to the bass and mid-range,
- which should give more fundamental and low partials.
-     Voice the una corda.
-     And do the best regulation possible, and at least some of the performers
- will work miracles.
-     Good luck!
-         Ed
-