you can pay me now....

vem@email.byu.edu vem@email.byu.edu
Wed Jul 3 20:52 MDT 2002

When you say it has been rebuilt twice, do you mean action & strings, or
everything?  E.g., did it get a new soundboard twice?
Situations like practice room pianos that are worth rebuilding again and again,
in order to be kept "like new", will eventually need new keysets to further
extend their life (after, say 30 or so years?).  Probably two restringings
before a new pinblock (20 years or so).  Maybe a new soundboard and bridge caps
after 40 years or so.  I believe a practice room piano would need to have
action rebuilding every 8 to 10 years, and repinning and hammer shaping, etc.
in between times.  Generally speaking of course.
vince

- Wim and List,
-
- This is something I would like to hear some opinions on. How many times can a
- piano be rebuilt and still produce the same or similar quality as new? We
have an
- 1887 Steinway B here at IC. It has been rebuilt at least twice. The piano
resides
- in a voice faculty studio and is just fine for that use. I would not want to
put
- it on a stage though.
-
- We have some fairly old Steinways in the practice rooms that get hard use.
They
- are ok now but how many times can a piano in such an environment be expected
- last?  Certainly some pianos/brands are not worth the effort but many are.
Just
- how many times?
-
- Don