you can pay me now....

ANRPiano@aol.com ANRPiano@aol.com
Wed Jul 3 21:30 MDT 2002

List,

At Northern Illinois University we have S&S "L's" in all the piano major
practice rooms.  They all date from the early 1970's.  In the past 10 years
or so David Graham has been replacing the action and doing a Stanwood on many
of them.  In the last 4 years or so I have been restring them with 4/0 pins.
The boards are actually better than many 5 year old S&S I have seen lately.
Nary a crack.  The bridges are also in good shape.  With 4/0 pins the pins
are coming out with very good torque.  There have been only a few pianos that
I wasn't real happy with the torque.  My expectation is that this set of
strings will be good for 20 years with maybe only a few exceptions.  I would
expect (if I am still around) to replace the pinblocks with the next
restringing and with an age of 50+ years I would expect of replace a few
soundboards.  We are probably on the 4th or 5th set of keybushings in the
worst case and except for the recital hall "D" all of the key sets are still
good to go.

As far as the hammers go the S&S have held up the best and are the easiest to
voice down, the Renner wear fine but boy do the get loud, and the Able got
chewed up pretty fast.  I am not sure which Able model was installed.

Andrew Remillard
Northern Illinois University