Temp fluctuation affect?

Doug Atkins ATKINSD@cedarville.edu
Wed Jan 23 21:15 MST 2002

John,

These conditions sound like the envirement in my home except the
windows are opened on nice days, AC turned on or off depending on our
comfort level and my wife practices on our Walter upright about 4
hours a day(she is completing her masters degree in piano
performance).
 The piano does have a Dampp-Chaser installed in it. I tune it about
3 times a year. It doesn't go to far out of tune.
 From my experience this hasn't effected the tunig all that much.

Doug Atkins
Registered Piano Technician
Cedarville University
937.766.7566
atkinsd@cedarville.edu

>>> John Minor <jminor@uiuc.edu> 01/21/02 10:17PM >>>

Anyone have any hard evidence(or direct experience) with tuning
instability caused by regular temperature fluctuations? Several
private
customers are in the habit of turning the thermostat on 60 degrees F
at
bedtime. (brrrrrr) Daytime temps are 68-70ish. Would this wreak havoc
on
tuning?

John Minor
University of Illinois