Workload - "usage"

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue Apr 30 16:16 MDT 2002

The usage factor of the workload formula is a very important one. There
is a very obvious difference between the deterioration of a piano in a
"piano major" practice room, and one in a band director's office, to
give a couple extreme examples. This factor will mostly predict
frequency with which reconditioning and rebuilding activities need to
take place (including everything from filing hammers and brushing
knuckles to action parts replacement and re-stringing. Though it doesn't
predict soundboard, pinblock, etc replacement, as these are more a
function of humidity and age).

1990 version
Usage
(1.00) Light: 0 to 4 hours per day.
(0.90) Medium: 4 to 8 hours per day.
(0.80) Heavy: 8 or more hours per day.
2002 version
Usage
1.3 - Light: 0 to 4 hours per day.
1.0 - Medium: 4 to 8 hours per day.
0.6 - Heavy: 8 or more hours per day

You'll notice the only differences are, once again, where 1.0 is, and
that the differences between levels of usage are greater.
	I had thought I would suggest adding one or two additional levels of
usage, but Richard West forwarded a better idea from talks at the CW
Regional. What he suggested (or passed on) is the idea of distinguishing
between not just hours of use, but levels of use. In other words, Hard
use (like in a piano major practice room, piano teaching studio, and
some other venues), Medium use (as in voice studios, other applied
studios that use piano as accompaniment, some rehearsal halls, etc), and
Light use (as in studios of theory, history, and ensemble faculty).
This is what Richard actually forwarded to me:
"VI.  Usage - We wanted to change this to "Hours/Intensity of Usage."
We
think that this category depends not only on the hours that a piano is
played, but also how hard the piano is played.  Therefore we suggest the
following:
1.3 - 0 to 4 hours/light playing
1.2 - 0 to 4 hours/medium playing
1.1 - 0 to 4 hours/heavy playing
1.0  - 4 to 8 hours/light playing
0.9 - 4 to 8 hours/medium playing
0.8 - 4 to 8 hours/heavy playing
0.7 - 8 or more hours/light playing
0.6 - 8 or more hours/medium playing
0.5 - 8 or more hours/heavy playing"
	While I agree with the principle, I don't like the numbers. I think I
would suggest:
(2.0) - 0 to 4 hours/light playing
(1.7) - 4 to 8 hours/light playing
(1.3) - 8 or more hours/light playing
(1.3) - 0 to 4 hours/medium playing
(1.0) - 4 to 8 hours/medium playing
(0.7) - 8 or more hours/medium playing
(0.8) - 0 to 4 hours/heavy playing
(0.6) - 4 to 8 hours/heavy playing
(0.4) - 8 to 12 hours/heavy playing
(0.3) - more than 12 hours heavy playing
	This is much more in line with my experience, where a light usage piano
from a faculty studio has easily worn more in one year when moved to a
high usage venue than after 20 years in the studio. I can see fussing
quite a bit to get the numbers closer to reality.
	As always, comments most welcome and appreciated.
Regards,
Fred