Revised workload formula

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue Apr 30 15:20 MDT 2002

In a message dated 4/30/02 3:34:37 PM Central Daylight Time,
jorge1ml@cmich.edu writes:

> Hi Wim,
>        I'm confused.  Are you saying administrators and/or faculty can just
> do the math without us or complete the whole formula without us?

I am not sure if he "just" did the math, that he can complete the formula.
Part of the problem with the CAUT formula is that it requires knowledge of
the age, technical condition, humidity levels, overall quality, age, etc.,
that an administrator, or even a teacher, probably wouldn't know. What an
administrator would know, if the he/she has communicated with the piano tech
and/or the piano department, is how many times a piano gets tuned, and
perhaps even additional work the piano tech does. (especially in a contract
situation). And if the tech has approached the administrator about the funds,
even what additional work a piano needs. I am not saying it will be an easy
task for an administrator, and a "good one" will automatically leave this to
the experts. But if he was given a little help, it is possible. If anything,
the numbers will be much easier to understand. They are straight forward. No
multipliers, no guessing if a piano gets "light usage, medium usage or heavy
usage."

Wim