Piano Apartment

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Thu Apr 25 09:33 MDT 2002

Greg,

I'll let others recommend the type of wood. I just want to give you
a suggestion about something else.

Our new building had a storage room included specifically for our
2 D's when they had to come off the stage into storage. They go into
the room tail first, so I had the contractor install a carpeted
(padded) bumper for the sides and tail made with 2x10's, I believe.
It has to be thick enough so that when bumped at the tail or side,
the overhang doesn't touch the wall.

We measured the height very carefully and installed it so that it
would clear below the lid overhang. That way whoever is moving it in
can just push until it bumps against the carpet. No scratches, dings,
whatever.

I also requested that the room had it's own temperature and humidity
control units and vents in it, also. Not so much change that way going
from storage to stage. I know you can't do it in your situation but if
anyone is ever involved in the planning of a new facility, it's
something to keep in mind.

A couple of the better ideas I've had lately, I think. :-)

Avery
University of Houston