uncomfy

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon Apr 22 13:20 MDT 2002

In a message dated 4/22/02 1:49:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
stranges@Oswego.EDU writes:

> PLease help with your suggestions on how I can stop feeling sick to my
> stomach when I think of the thought of going to this guys place again.

I am not a woman, (at least that is what it says on my driver's license), but
I would like to offer a few suggestions.

First of all, unfortunately, that is a problem, with not only female piano
tuners, but with other women service people. You never know what you run
into. A lady friend of mine in St. Louis had a guy answer the door in his
bathrobe, and it was 3 in the afternoon. And having crazies for customers is
not something only women techs have to worry about. Even though I am a big
man, I have been I some situations where I did not feel comfortable.

So the suggestions are two fold.

1. You have the right to refuse service to anyone. You can either be "polite"
and make excuses, or you can be blunt and tell him why you don't want to go
back to his place.

2. If you like the money, and want to continue servicing his pianos, ask a
friend, maybe a student, preferably a man you can trust, to go along with
you.

The problem with either case is that you will be setting a precedent for
yourself. If this is the first time this has happened to you, maybe it will
be the last.  I certainly hope it doesn't happen again. But, are you going to
become paranoid about all of your appointments?

If you do go back there, don't leave the piano bench, and just keep an eye
out for this guy. Your tuning hammer in the right place can be a powerful
weapon.

Good luck

Wim