Formula Concerns

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon Apr 22 12:04 MDT 2002

In a message dated 4/22/02 11:09:37 AM Central Daylight Time,
jorge1ml@cmich.edu writes:

> Hello,
>     Micro managing how often each piano type is serviced, and how long
> that service should take has dangerous potential to cripple us.  We
> clearly don't  agree, or even come close, on this.   If that is in the
> formula, administrators could start to requiring techs to adhere to
> it.   Examples of my fears: "You shall fully tune each piano faculty
> studio once weekly",  "You shall fully tune for every performance, jury,
> audition, or other designated event", "A tuning shall take 1 hour (no
> more, no less)",  "X number of services will go to this or that
> classification of pianos which will take this long"     THIS WOULD BE A
> NIGHTMARE and the job would never get done!
>      We must retain total freedom!!   "Different strokes are for
> different folks!"  Our time and resource budget must be our own!  We all
> vary in skills, strengths and weaknesses, and efficiency for various
> tasks.   THE RIGHT TO DO IT OUR PERSONAL WAY MUST NEVER BE INFRINGED.
>      The formula must be written such that no administrator will attempt
> to legislate how a tech chooses to do his or her job.  Also it should
> never be used to evaluate how a tech is performing.  Most of us
> instinctively already do our best with the resources and abilities we
> have, both for ourselves and the schools.
>
> A strong concern,
> -Mike

Mike

I think you might be misinterpreting how the formula is put together. The
intent for the formula is for an administrator to fill in the number. Perhaps
a piano technician will be asked to help, or at most one of the piano
faculty. But it is the administrator who is making the decision how often a
piano should be tuned. And if he/she says piano faculty pianos should be
tuned once a week, then that is how often we, as employees, need to do that,
even if we don't agree with that.

Although having a total freedom in our job is something we all want, don't
forget, we do work for someone. And he/she/they do have the right to tell us
how often a piano should be tuned, and even how long we should take to tune
it. That is their way of maintaining control over the people who work for
them. If, in your opinion, a job should take longer, or if a piano should be
tuned more often, or less often, then as professionals, it is our
responsibility to educate the administrator. But I don't think we are in a
position to tell him/her what to do.

It is by knowing how often a piano should be tuned, and how long it should
take, an administrator will more closely be able to determine how much time,
and money, is needed to maintain the pianos. That is what they want to know.
It is also their right to find someone who can do that work in the prescribed
amount of time.

It is presumed that administrators are intelligent enough to know that not
every piano is the same, and that every situation is different. So while by
using the formula of how often a piano should tuned, how long it takes,
combined with what additional service is required, an administrator will have
a basic idea of how many hours are required to maintain the inventory, I
doubt seriously any one of them will around with a clip board looking over
our shoulder to make sure we do spend an hour tuning a piano once a week.

Therefore, I think your concern is unfounded.

Wim